Originally Posted By: pmac
My guess the guys still boss just cause when uncle Joe met with john gambino and the he said joeys the boss. They recorded the whole thing and gambino were OK with it.4 yrs ago.

And that's what I'll believe until we hear otherwise. That is the best piece of evidence we have right now and it says Merlino is still active. There are many some reasons posters have given to think he has retired too. But we have Ligambi on tape talking about Merlino proposing guys to be made and saying that Merlino would do the initiation himself when he gets released. So we have solid proof that as of 2010, Merlino is still active (and still in charge). He could of changed his mind since then, but why would he be active for 11 years while in prison then decide to retire less than a year before he is set to be released?

EDIT: I was reading an old article and apparently Ligambi wasn't picked up on tape saying that.
"The memo makes reference to a second restaurant meeting on Oct. 21, 2010, attended by Licata, Fazzini and the cooperator.

During that meeting Licata and Fazzini discussed the structure of the Philadelphia mob and Licata quoted Ligambi about Merlino initiating members when he gets out of jail.

“Licata explained that Merlino is calling the shots from jail,” the memo reads in part."
http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-04/news/31556826_1_crime-family-merlino-racketeering-case

So it was a different meeting with Stefanelli and it was Licata saying this based on what Ligambi said. Interesting.

"I die outside; I die in jail. It don't matter to me," -John Franzese