Originally Posted By: fergie
Killing Joke...I do get the impression when visiting most major cities in England ie London and the North of England cities, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Bolton etc that its overrun by ethnic "minority" groups - to the extent that you simply cannot enter some parts of these cities (ive posted before about Liverpool's Somali-Land). The problem isn't particularly the huge numbers, its more the lack of any want of integration by these now settled communities. The whole idea of the UK benefitting from an overwhelming influx of (non-english speaking) foreign nationals was based on the assumption of integration and it simply hasn't happened.

Luckily I'm in Scotland and we don't really have much of a problem, yet. More often the closest they end up is the North of England.

Liverpool, when I visited the city, still struck me as a majority "white" city. But it's true that Toxteth has seen a large influx of Somali people to the extent that the entire district now feels like a part of Mogadishu. It's a shame, because Toxteth used to have such a unique and vibrant community. There was crime (organized and disoranized) of course, but it used to be a district with character. Now the original population -black, white and mixed race- have been partly driven out and the void has been filled (and literally FILLED) with a humongous influx of Somalis. And to tell the truth a lot of the newly arrived Somalis come from war-torn, deeply tribal regions where they've been exposed to a culture that's so completely different from the European one that problems can be expected.

Like you said: it's not so much the huge numbers, because the indigenous population still forms a huge majority over the ethnic minority populations in any European country. But it's rather the way the minorities are clustered in their own respective areas.