Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: getthesenets
Pizza,

years ago I asked people what their favorite versions of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was.One guy said Elvis' version. I shrugged and then when I listened to it, I had to admit that it was one of the better interpretations of the song I'd ever heard.

I've posted that video here half-a-dozen times! Ask Tis and/or DE NIRO. They're both huge Elvis fans, too. They'll remember me posting it. It's the BEST version I've ever heard (or, in this case, seen).

Keep an open mind, Nicky. It was recorded in the summer of 1970 in Las Vegas. Paul Simon was at the show and was quoted as saying, "I give up. We should all just quit now." He was obviously going to a friendly extreme with the hyperbole because he adored Elvis. But when Elvis did covers, he made them his own.

The last stanza, beginning with "Sail on Silver Girl," will blow your mind.

Not going to lie, the Simon and Garfunkel version was the only I've listened to when I made that comment. But Elvis' version for sure competes with theirs.

Such a shame that Elvis died so young. He could still be touring today. Crazy to think.

Last edited by NickyEyes1; 06/21/15 12:43 AM.