Originally Posted By: bronx
marcello , trafficante. arcardo.. tommy luc. carlo g. chin..costello.. profaci these guys lasted decades. ran their families like a biz..made a lot of millionairs add these guys up how many years in prison did they spend all together

Ahh, the good ole days. Not one single one of those guys had to deal with the RICO ACT. I could make the same point about smaller family bosses like John Scalish, John LaRocca, Jimmy Lanza, Russell Bufalino, Stefano Maggadino and Joe Zerilli. It's very hard to compare mob eras because over time, the laws change and the public is more aware of them. It hasn't been a secret since Joe Valachi. The guys from the 1970's and on had it the toughest, they had to contend with RICO and a much stronger FBI presence. "Most" of the old time bosses ran their crime families like a business, in more traditional rackets as well. It's like trying to compare Peyton Manning to Dan Marino. When Marino played, the game was more brutal, these QB's today have much more protection because of strict rule changes etc. that's my two cents. I'm not saying Gambino wasn't important, but the media has blown up his legacy like he was so smart and brilliant...that's a bunch of shit. A. He married his first cousin (and that's fucking nasty, inbreeding should be punishable by jail time) B. He was aligned with Lucchese because their kids were married and Lucchese truly propelled Gambino's power with the sharing of unions. Funzi Tieri was a better boss than Gambino any day of the week and twice on Sunday...IMO.

Last edited by Oscarthedago; 05/16/15 04:26 AM.

As Uncle Charlie used to say, "Never get into pissing matches with skunks."