Originally Posted By: CleanBandit
Any Croatians over there, PB?

Yes, also in Ridgewood, along with the Serbs. But they're not nearly as concentrated. And what you have to understand about Queens is that--right or wrong--certain ethnic groups tend to get lumped together. So part of the "official" Serbian population in Ridgewood may actually be Croatian. Just like years ago when the first Middle Easterners were lumped in with the Greeks in Astoria, or when some of the Albanians got mixed in with the Italians back in the '70s here in the Bronx.

And like I said about Astoria, gentrification will eventually push out the bulk of the poor anyway. There are A LOT of private houses in Astoria (often 2-6 family). But even the private owners are getting in on the act. I mean, if they're hearing that the apartment buildings are charging $1500 for one bedroom apartments, they're going to follow suit. This is America. Everyone is gonna get whatever they can. Especially today.

I hate preaching, but I'll say it one more time. Gentrification has consequences, and they're unfair to the little guy. Don't get me wrong, it's great to pretty up the neighborhood. But not at the expense of pushing out families that have been there for three and four generations. That part SUCKS.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.