Originally Posted By: Dwalin2011
Originally Posted By: TheKillingJoke

In my opinion organized crime in general, of any kind in any developed country, is currently far weaker than it still was in the 80s and 90s.

I am not so sure, for example about Mexico, Russia and Japan. Mexico is almost a war zone, in Russia since the 90s the mafias have been becoming stronger due to the collusion with the state, even though they don't kill so much anymore as they did in the 90s because the most violent ones have been all whacked long ago, and in Japan, even though the street crime rate is considered low, the Yakuza isn't even illegal, it's no crime to be a member and there is no RICO or anything similar.

I wouldn't call Mexico a "developed country" lol
The Yakuza is on the decline. Japan has been passing anti-organized crime laws and it's beginning to see its effects. They're still very much active and will continue to be for quite some time, but the Yakuza's membership and their grip on society is steadily declining.
When you take a look at countries like Italy, Russia, the UK, the Netherlands,...all developed European countries that have been the scene of a healthy amount of organized criminal activity, there seems to be less coverage on the topic now than there was in the 80's up to the early 2000's. It's not for nothing. Criminals have evolved and operate less in the open nowadays? Sure. But it's also because law enforcement has learned to deal with the pervasiveness of the criminal activities committed by the different groups in these countries. Organized crime is far from dead, but the pervasiveness of it, the grip it had on society, its visibility, is nothing like it was back in the days.