Originally Posted By: Sonny_Black
Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Barzini probably told him that Vito would never make a deal if he knew that Barzi was Sol's partner, so he said, "Go to Tattaglia. He's a pimp--Vito's not afraid of him. Tell Tatt anything you want, but I'll be your silent partner."

But why would Sollozzo first need to go to Tattaglia instead of going straight to Vito? After all, when Vito asked what the Tattaglias would get out of the deal Sol said: my compliments.

Sol needed help with actual on-the-street operations. Tatt was in a position to help him. Vito wouldn't want to risk getting involved in actual drug operations. "My complements" was a bit of flattery to Tom, to warm him up for the deal. Vito and Tom had to know, in advance, that Sol had approached Tattaglia. It would give him credibility for his meeting with Vito, i.e., "Tattaglia stands behind me."
Quote:
So, if Vito had said yes, his capital and his police and political protection for Sol would be making Barzi stronger, putting him in a better position to move against Vito.

But if Vito had given Sollozzo what he wanted, what would he have to gain by betraying him to Barzini? And Sollozzo could have easily doublecrossed Barzini once he was in business with Vito. [/quote]
If Sol made a secret partnership with Barzini, his money would strengthen Barzini and ultimately embolden Barzini to make a move on Vito. Sol probably thought he'd have a real partnership with Barzini after Barzini moved Vito out of the Number One spot. That would be important to Sol, because he could not for long exist as a wealthy independent operator. He knew he'd have to throw in his lot with a powerful family. Vito, if he went for the deal, would operate at arms-length. Barzini could be a real partner.

Yes, he could have betrayed Barzini, but who would be left for him as a partner?

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.