You're right. Natale was told to stay out of it. Frank Gerace ran that union for Scarfo. They were cousins. There was a ton of stuff going on at the Cherry Hill racetrack, that's where Natale worked. All walks going in and out. Can't help but make some connections. And I'm not discounting his relationship with Bruno; he did indeed have a good one. But, it was not a 50/50. more like 90/10

Here's what I think, from what I've heard over the years and what I've read -

Facts Scarfo was definitely on a direct collision course with Bruno. And it was all over power in AC. Scarfo didn't make an enemy out of Bruno, but rather played it very well. Lullabied him. Others have first hand witnessed that they were close and had meetings. They weren't alienated when Bruno met his demise.

Opinion: I think Scarfo was told by the Genovese, via Manna, to stay in the background; let them handle the situation. Be loyal and you will be rewarded. I think he knew the whole time that things were going to change; A power shift was coming. While, i'm sure the genovese never told him of their direct plan because he didn't need to know, he knew change was in the air.

At the end of the day, he capitalized on his situation. He was known as a very capable individual. And even if Natale had been on the street, I think he went down in 1978, he woulda disappeared.

Scarfo was well aware that Natale was a willing participant in the grab of Local 54. Scarfo put Gerace in and Bruno wanted Natale; but Scarfo beat him to the punch. The genovese and Chicago split that union after Bruno had it merged in an effort to get his guy (natale) in. And before Natale killed McGreal, it was McGreal with the union power.

EDIT- Frankie Flowers and Ralph Natale were not even close to being in the same league. Bruno genuinely respected Flowers. Joint Ventured and made a lot of money WITH him. From what I was told, by older guys who were very close to Flowers, he could have had his button, but was not into violence at all.

Last edited by NickyWhip; 04/02/15 09:14 AM.

Boss of tha toilet!