Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: m2w
although southern italian are more or less assimilated in the states the mafia is still alive and strong a whole burough of ny (staten island) is about 40% italian, new jersey is about 25% italian so the mafia still has a pool to recruit members at least in ny,nj and other eastern areas

@ m2w

It's been awhile, but I remember you as a quality poster. But you're giving Italian Americans way too much credit for being like their Italian and Sicilian counterparts. These kids are often fourth generation now. And every day that Italians are in America, they become another day removed from what goes on in Italy.

These kids don't know Sicilian history and they don't know Cosa Nostra. The best and the brightest in the Italian AMERICAN community are becoming professionals and legit business owners today. Doctors, lawyers, restaurant owners, etc. I mean, if you made it over here, what would you want for your kids?

And again, I'm talking about Italians in AMERICA. The mob will always be around in Southern Italy because it's part of the identity and the cultural fabric. The mob will last in America for awhile for the simple reason that criminal minded people will always be around. The motivation to jump into the life is entirely different, and that's why you can't compare the two groups today. The only thing they have in common in the 21st Century is Italian last names.
PB , message me your new email address pal