Originally Posted By: goombah
I have some quick questions for anyone. My home PC is a HP and is nearly 5 years old. It is running slow with Windows 7. Would upgrading it to Windows 8.1 make it any faster, or slow it down further? When I power on my computer, it seems to boot slower and slower. Even worse, when I go to open a web browser, it often takes 1-2 minutes after clicking for Chrome or Firefox to open.

Are there are any malware or other free/inexpensive software packages that speed up a PC? I have defragged and run a registry cleaner, but neither seem to have done much good.

I use AVG as my virus protection and have never had an issue.

Am I just facing forced obsolescence, or should I be able to get more life out of the pc? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Goombah, over the past few days, I had to stop using Firefox and switch to Chrome. I briefly tried Internet Explorer, but it was just frieze up like Firefox. I don't know if there is a new computer virus going around or what.

Download and run the "Spybot Search and Destroy" freeware. Viruses and spyware will slow your computer down even if it is brand new. I think if you download and run it, you'll find tons of foreign programs on your desk top that don't belong there.

Free (and proprietary) programs are available at Download.com.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."