Originally Posted By: JCrusher
Good Question. I think it varies from family to family. The Gambinos used to be the largest family and still may be. Other families especially outiside of new york tended to be less. I know when they opened the books in 1976 they allowed 10 new members to be made from each family in New York. However over the next year they intiated a lot more

According to former Lucchese acting boss Al D'Arco, the max membership established back in Luciano's day were:

Genovese - 300 members
Gambino - 300 members
Colombo - 150 members
Lucchese - 125-140 members
Bonanno - 125-140 members

I don't recall if it was Valachi or Bonanno, but but I think these were the max figures from one or both of them:

Genovese - 450 members
Gambino - 400 members
Bonanno - 350 members
Lucchese - 250 members
Colombo - 200 members

According to Capeci:

Genovese - 400 members
Gambino - 300 members
Bonanno - 300 members
Colombo - 200 members
Lucchese - 175 members

The membership figures today in NY have been fairly steady over the last 15-20 years.

The Genovese and Gambinos are estimated to have approximately 200 members each.

The Bonanno, Lucchese, and Colombo members are each estimated to have a little over 100 members.

I believe it's still the case that they can only replace members who have died (though there has been cheating with that). I don't know if they still do the 2 additional members at Christmas thing.

Mods should mind their own business and leave poster's profile signatures alone.