Originally Posted By: TottiNotGotti
Originally Posted By: helenwheels
Originally Posted By: TottiNotGotti

Yeah, sure buddy.

Your pals in the Mafia pick on the weakest and most vulnerable in society to benefit themselves. The IRA took on the most powerful in their society on behalf of the weak, generally at great personal cost and never to their individual gain.

Nonsense. A part of the IRA the UVF were about gangsterism and criminal protection rackets. Don't white wash that part. It was real and it's been extensively documented and acknowledged.

Documented by who?

The fact you are even comparing the UVF and the IRA is mental.

While the UVF and UDA were walking around with pet lions and smuggling drugs into the country IRA volunteers were living on a fiver a week and smuggling guns in to fight a war.

How many drug dealers and criminals do you know that died a death like Kevin Brady, or Pol Kinsella, or fought and died like Francie Hughes, or have a story like Gerry Kelly's, or suffered like Marion and Dolores Price and Frank Stagg and Michael Gaughan, or have the bravery of Jim Bryson?

Which volunteers enjoyed money and wealth and comfort in the same way that the hoods who celebrated on here do?

Nothing mental about comparing terrorist groups.

The IRA has it's heros and it's bad guys. Painting them all as saints is ridiculous. You do know that they were laundering money with the Mafia in italy I assume? The story was pretty well covered b the media. Or that some of the drug dealers they shot were shot for not paying the tax that they collected for allowing them to operate. Or that they sold fuel and cigarettes illegally to raise money. Or that substantial funding from NORAID came from drug deals. Or about the Scouse/IRA drug deals. Try and sell the bit about them all having halos to someone that's never picked up a book.

In the interest of full disclosure- I believe in the IRA's original cause, although not their tactics. But I believe in the truth as well, and I don't believe in rewriting in it. Save that Orwellian stuff for people who can't look past myths.

Last edited by helenwheels; 03/24/15 04:58 PM.

All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?