Originally Posted By: Malandrino
And Joe probably DID warn him but that wouldn't change a thing. Galante knew he had a target on his back, he had the zip faction protecting him along with his two trusted bodyguards. He was always careful and only went to trusted joints, etc with trusted people. Joe and Mary's restaurant was owned by a cousin of his if I'm not mistaken.

Galante believed they couldn't get to him since he had an army of killers, or maybe he just didn't believe the other families would really set their differences aside, get together and take him out by any means. Regardless, Joe Bonanno's warning wuldn't/couldn't make any real difference to the outcome.

Whenever I read the story that led up to the Galante assassination, it always seemed to me like New York got Sicily's permission and assistance. This because Galante's Sicilian bodyguards appear to have been in on the hit. If that is so, and Joe Bonanno was the last to find out, then Bonanno was powerless to stop what was happening. He probably got a visit, not only informing him of the hit, but also that the Sicilian mafia and everyone up in Canada was on the same page with the bosses in NY. Joe Bonanno would've nevr challenged something like that.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."