Great question Gudfadern, but few replies I suspect because the fans of this movie (GF1) are loyal. Few would dare suggest ways to improve on what is clearly a perfect movie.

I liked the movie, but what spoiled it for me was reading far too many true crime books before really watching the classic mob flicks. Therefore I would do some things differently for the movies.

1. (This one will not be popular) I would not choose Alfredo Pacino to play Michael Corleone. He just doesn't strike me as a made man of Cosa Nostra.

2. I would not have hired a Robert Duvall to play an Irish Consigliere. The Consigliere would have been Italian in ethnicity.

3. Background music that properly underscored the intense negotiations between family bosses was non existent. I would have included some interesting dark score pieces there.

4. Kay's character was just goofy. I would have had a actress far shrewder in appearance playing the wife of Michael Corleone.

5. The wardrobes were corny. Everyone in the mafia was dressed like a banker instead of like pimped out gangsters. I would have had Al Pacino sporting tight double breasted suits with a pinky ring and shiny black shoes. You would have seen Al Pacino with an entourage of men all dressed that way, with everyone wearing fedora hats. Godfather tried too hard to appeal to mainstream America, and in so doing, it misrepresented even what Cosa Nostra members looked like.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."