Originally Posted By: Malandrino
Furio I'm glad you posted this. Love the movie, this scene especially. Ben Gazzara was AMAZING in this. One of the most underrated movies (maybe not in Italy) but I think it deserves to be much more popular.
Giuseppe Tornatore's first major movie and one of his best.

Furio, another scene I love is the montage of the NCO-Camorra war, with people being killed almost every day, the movie shows it incredibly well.

The whole NCO/Cutolo saga is crazy and incredible. Imagine one guy in a US prison creating a prison gang and making it powerful enough to take on the entire 5 families... that's just so you guys can have an idea how powerful this guy and his organization were.

Yes,Malandrino especially if you think that the movie was made in 1986, just three years after the end of the war between NCO and NF, the movie despite the good receipts was seized by the authorities and the version of 4 hours for the TV was never aired; Cutolo in 1992 wanted to tell what he knew, but some say he was threatened with death (not his but that of his family), and since 1982 has been under the 41 bis, when the 41 bis still didn't exist and now at 74 years old, will die buried alive in the cell.