I have to agree with Tony. Costellos grave was bombed within a year of his death if im not wrong. If someone bombed the grave of Gambino(not sure about Gotti) during that time then there surely would be retaliations from the Gambinos. Those were different times and you had his relatives still holding key positions in the family, the boss was his cousin so yeah.

But if that would happen now then there wouldn't be retaliations. As most of us agree the mob is in a different era were they don't kill, or at least not so easily. Explaining Salerno's case. So I disagree that there would be retaliation for these kind of things after the decline of the Mob started.

And when you look at it this way the loyalists of Costello were better of not starting a war with the Bonannos for the bombing of his grave. I don't think anyone wanted to take on Galante for the bombing of Costello's grave, as there was no loss of face for the Genovese family. And bombing the grave of a Boss and a former Boss are two different things. But this is my opinion tough I might be wrong.