Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Gagliano indeed was one of the more obscure figures among the bosses of the NY Mafia. Thanks to the internet and old newspaper archives, we can find out more about him. He did die on Feb 16, 1951 (just like Lucchese said during the hearings). His obituary was published in NY Times 16th, 17th and 18th of February 1951. I posted a copy of it and it can be found by using the search function on here. I have no clue why some historians claim he died in 1953.

Another interesting thing is that Gagliano was indicted and convicted of tax evasion in 1932. He receieved a 15 months prison sentence. Here is an article about the indictment published in the Schenectady Gazette March 1, 1932. Dewey who was just an up and comer assistant US attorney at the time had a role in convicting him.

"5 alleged leaders in Bronx building racket indicted by the federal grand jury in connection with United States attorney George Z. MedalieĀ“s drive against income tax racketeers. The defendants were charged with conspiracy with an attempt to evade and defeat the income tax law and with perjury involving concealed net incomes of $1.270,000. Those indicted were Antonio Monforte, also known as Monteforte, who is now serving seven years in Sing Sing for extortion; Tommaso Gagliano; Guiseppe Alberti; Frank Casella and Antonio Marziano, all of the Bronx. Thomas E. Dewey, chief assistant United States attorney charged Gagliano and Monforte were copartners in the organization of the PlasterersĀ“ Information Bureau, [word impossible to read] which they incorporated and which is alleged to have terrorized the Bronx building trades for years. The building contractors were practically forced to buy "the services" of the bureau at an expressed price of one per cent of their receipts, he said. Another indictment alleged that Monforte, Gagliano and Alberti conspired with Marziano, Casella and other stockholders of the United cloathing Company to defraud the government by evading payment of corporate income tax. It is alleged that the gross income of the corporation for the years 1927, 1928 and 1929 was more than $1.500,000 and that the net income was more than $1.000,000."

Interesting. So Dewey DID go after other commission members after all, not just Luciano. I have always been wondering why there were never mentions of any other Cosa Nostra bosses apart from Luciano being jailed by Dewey. What about Mangano, Profaci and Bonanno, did they ever go to jail when Dewey was prosecutor?

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."