Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Originally Posted By: Malandrino
Lol that's a good story never heard it before. I heard somewhere that Joe Bonanno was a real mean guy to his troops and even Galante had to take some shit from him, but who knows maybe that was a bullshit story.

"As greedy as joe bananas" was a phrase I'd seen written somewhere.

Although Bonanno has written an autobiography he's an unreliable narrator. and as leader of one of the most insular crime families he was and still is a bit of an enigma. Greed could refer to his lust for more and more territory.

He's one of the few bosses of his generation to have a full-scale rebellion by unhappy capos/soldiers/adim un-seat him. Even if it was supported by outsiders it tells us what some of his people thought of him. One way of seeing it is that he was greedy in screwing over a lot of guys who had been loyal for years out of a shoot for the boss position by trying to put his son in the seat.

Even by his own admission in passages of his book he spent as much time out of town as he could and stayed aloof of affairs on the street, that couldn't have gone down well with blue collar crews and capos.

Evertying I've heard about Tommy Lucchese paints him as a generous boss who treated people who were to loyal to him well. He had a house in a suburbs of Long Island and didn't put on airs like living in a penthouse like Costello or a well-guarded mansion like Anastasia.

This life of ours, this is a wonderful life. If you can get through life like this, hey, thats great. But it's very, very unpredictable. There are so many ways you can screw it up.-Paul Castellano (he would know)

"I'm not talking about Italians, I'm talking about criminals."-Joe Valachi