Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted By: furio_from_naples
Originally Posted By: PhillyMob
^^^yea furio it was incredible how Scarpa played the entire Colombo family like a master chess player. Blaming hits on the Orena faction and then blaming hits on the Persico faction. All the while feeding the lies to DeVecchio. I know Lin was sure to be up to no good with Scarpa but he was definetly still getting told lies as well.

Scarpa pretty much single handily started the third Colombo war. With the help of others but the others only reacting to what he is saying.

So I was reading that it's a possibility that when little Linda and her kid and Scarpa nearly were shot, that could have been made up. So Scarpa had justification for going out and killing.
I thought there were more witnesses then just the two of them?

Phillymob,the purpose of the FBI has always been to destroy La Cosa Nostra by any means, so as to destroy the Patriarca used at Bulger and Martorano,so DeVecchio has done his duty trying to destroy the Colombo family, on the one hand he will not be seemed true that Colombo began a war and that his protégé Greg Scarpa was in the center of the war; both have gained all: devecchio that from 1962 to 1993 in addition to sending several times in prison Persico has done arrest or kill dozens of men of the family, and Greg Scarpa not only avoiding various times to be indicted (so much so that there were suspects that he was a rat) but also did win his faction by killing 19 men of Orena.

It's hard to understand what you wrote here Furio (are you using Google Translate?). But if you are saying that DeVecchio himself was in fact the highest level of manipulation in the Scarpa saga, I am going to have to agree with that. Scarpa was the puppet, not DeVecchio.

Sorry Alfa Romeo I use google translate only when I'm in a hurry.
what I meant is that the fbi especially after Hoover tried to destroy La Cosa Nostra without going too fussy, so he used Bulger to weaken the Patriarca, even Bulger helped put the microphones in the headquarters of Jerry Angiulo in the early 80s,in 1968 Peter Limone, Joseph Salvati, Henry Tameleo and Louis Greco were convicted for the murder of Edward "Teddy" Deegan, that was really committed by Vincent Flemmi that was helped by Barboza which was covered FBI agent Paul Rico.

In the case DeVecchio-Scarpa, there was a convergence of interests. Scarpa knew he could do what he wanted, and keep his backs up as long as gave good information to Devecchio, that could seriously from damage the Colombo.

From wikipedia

In 1985, federal prosecutors indicted Scarpa for running a major credit card scam. After Scarpa pleaded guilty, prosecutors asked the court to give him a sizable fine and a prison sentence. However, DeVecchio submitted a memo to the judge that listed all of Scarpa's contributions to the FBI. The judge finally sentenced Scarpa to five years probation with no prison time and a $10,000 fine. Colombo family members were so surprised by Scarpa's light sentence that some started wondering if he was working for the government

Scarpa's status as an informer was only revealed in 1995, during a racketeering and murder trial of seven members of the Orena faction. At that time, former Colombo family consigliere Carmine Sessa, now a government witness, told prosecutors about DeVecchio's unusual and corrupt relationship with Scarpa.Eventually, prosecutors were forced to reveal that DeVecchio might have revealed confidential information, including information about former Colombo wiseguys who had turned informer, to Scarpa. Ultimately, 19 Orena supporters had murder charges thrown out or murder convictions reversed after their attorneys contended DeVecchio's collaboration with Scarpa tainted the evidence against them. The attorneys argued that DeVecchio gave Scarpa information he used to kill members of the Orena faction, thus making any killings committed by their clients acts of self-defense.

Eventually both Scarpa that DeVecchio had what they wanted.
I hope I have written all right.