Originally Posted By: Turnbull
My folks lived in a Mitchell-Lama building on 96th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan. Two bedrooms, $500/month rent, until my father died in '97.

I did a lot of work out of that area too, TB. Plaza Memorial on 91st and Amsterdam. Nowhere near as busy as Riverside, but it's not as impersonal, either.

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
A close friend lives in a Mitchell-Lama building on the ocean in Arverne (Rockaway Beach), two bedrooms, plays about $500/month.

Unbelievable. They're really building in that area now. They better never let go of that apartment. They'll be looking for $2,000 with new tenants. Guaranteed.

As far as that area goes, I'm glad that the builders have left Breezy Point alone (as far as gentrification goes). Because the blue collar families that have been in that neighborhood all their lives have been through absolute Hell these past dozen or so years (9/11, the American Airlines crash, Hurricane Sandy, etc.).

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.