Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: Yonkers
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I've been there a couple of times and the food is no better than at joints like Bamonte's in Brooklyn or Domenick's in the Bronx, except you can walk right into those places without any of the pretense.

Hello Pizzaboy,

Never been to Rao's or Domenick's. I was wondereing when you say the food is no better than Domenick's does that mean it(domenicks) is a good place to go. If it is I would like to try it. Also, any other recomendations, in the bronx, westchester area. You seem to kno your food. Thanks.

Yonkers

Nah, I just like to eat lol. But the food at Domenick's is excellent. That's what I meant when I said that Rao's was no better, except you can walk right into Domenick's, and worst case scenario you wait an hour for a table. With Rao's, if you don't know someone you're looking at a six month wait (at the least).

The only downside to Domenicks is the seating. They have long picnic type tables, so you may get stuck sitting right next to a stranger (or worse, a tourist) if your party isn't large enough. But that never bothered me. Great food, huge family style portions. You'll love it.

As far as the rest of the Bronx, the Patricia's restaurants are very good (Morris Park and Throggs Neck locations), and Frankie and Johnnie's will always be Frankie and Johnnie's, so you can't go wrong there.

I grew up on 187th and Hoffman, but we've lived in Throggs Neck for more than 25 years. But my Dad lives in Eastchester, so I get up to Westchester quite a bit. There are plenty of great Italian restaurants up that way.

Slightly off topic, the last time I was on Central Avenue I was SHOCKED at how many empty stores there were. Sign of the economy, I guess. Because I'm 55, and years ago there was no such thing as an empty retail spot on Central Avenue. And there was no shortage of restaurants back then either. It's sad.

Yea its changed a bit. If your ever over there, the A&S porkstore makes excellent itailian combo, and all the food is fresh. Other than that I dont know of italian restaurants on Central that I can think of. I live on the north westside of Yonkers so I only go over there every once in a while. Ive been to F&J a few times and there food is awesome. Ill definitely try dominck. Thanks for the recomendations.