Originally posted by SC:
Originally posted by johnny ola:
[b] Any time you want info about the Rocky films let me know
Thanks, Johnny. smile Actually I'm gonna head down to Philly soon, and I would like to see the museum steps that Rocky climbed in his training sequences. Any info??

Also - the ship that brought young Vito Corleone to America is now a restaurant somewhere in Philly. The name of the ship is The Mosholu. Can you tell me where (in Philly) it is??

Thanks. [/b]
Most of the Rocky sites are fairly easy to get to. The steps and the Mosholu are in what we call "center city", but at different ends. The steps are at the end of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway which ends at the Schuylkill (pronounced Skul-kill) river. Its a relatively short walk from the center of town, and quite pleasant. You will pass the Franklin Institue, which is quite interesting, but takes a couple of hours to see the exhibits. The whole parkway is along the lines of the Champs Elysées in Paris. The Mosholu is on the other side of town on the Delaware River, in an area known as Penns Landing. For years Philadelphia has tried to develope that area like the South Seaport in New York, or the Inner harbor in Baltimore, with no success. Also in that area is a couple of historic Naval Ships, including Admiral Deweys flagship "Olympia" and a WWII submarine. Right across the river which is accesible by ferry, is the USS New Jersey battleship museum in Camden. I wouldn't recommend having lunch on the Moshulu, I have heard the food isn't that great. In that area there are many good restuarants of varied cuisines. For Italian food, I would recommend La Familia at Front and Market. They have been in business for many years, and its a family owned business. Its along the lines of upscale Louies. Try the veal its the best in the city grin . If you want to take a interesting side trip, thats not too far go to Pat's Steaks 9th and Passyunk (pronounced pash shunk). You can see the plaque on the ground where Rocky had a cheesesteak with Willie Cicci. Of course in the film he was the loan shark Rocky worked for. If you decide you want a cheesesteak, I would go across the street to Geno's, much better! By the way this is the area that Rocky did some of his running. Its the scene where is running through the "Italian Market" with all the pushcarts, and someone throws an orange to him. If your taste is more toward a hoagie, about 2 blocks away is Chickies Italian Deli, with hoagies to die for. Get there early because they usually run out of rolls early.
The house where Rocky lived and the pet shop arent that close to center city. Any other locations you would like to know, just let me know. wink

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.