Alfanosgirl:

What I've discovered and concluded about Mineo is that he became a boss around the same time D'Aquila did, around 1912. Both Mineo and D'Aquila came from Palermo, but did not get along. Mineo's territory corresponds to the Profacis and there are other indicators that lead me to conclude that Mineo was the first boss of the Profaci Family. Then in 1928 Mineo and Masseria conspired to kill D'Aquila. There were probably some insiders too that helped. When D'Aquila was killed in October, Mineo became the boss of his family and arranged for Salvatore DiBella to head his old Family, but still Mineo had the final word. What Masseria got out of this is that he replaced D'Aquila as Boss of Bosses.

D'Amato was already living in Brooklyn. Capone didn't place him there, but was probably friendly with him. Some claim that D'Amato was a spy for Capone. Maybe he was or maybe he wasn't.

Carfano was under Yale, then moved up when Yale was killed. With Adonis it's a guess that he was under Yale, but we don't know for certain. We really don't know much about Adonis in the 1920s, but he reportedly became a capo so that means that he and Carfano were equals. They were both under Masseria, then Luciano and Costello. Mineo's original Family became the Profacis and his second became the Gambinos.

Yes, it would have been great if Bill B. had opened up more, we probably could have gotten more answers, but that's how it goes.

Binnie: I highly recommend Alex's book. If you look in the acknowledgements you'll see my name as someone who helped. (This doesn't mean I'm taking credit for his work, only that I helped, nothing more and nothing less.)

BarrettM: There is physical evidence and statements that confirm that Capone's people carried out Yale's hit. There's nothing unusual for a boss to call on the capo of one crew to kill the capo of another. They were both under Masseria under that time. Masseria had Yale killed just like Genovese had Carfano killed 30 years later.