Originally Posted By: Alfa Romeo
But then what is the difference?

No Consigliere.

No Commission.

They have a boss responsible for a certain geographical area. They have Capozona's responsible for smaller sections of that area. Then they have Soldati answering to the Capos. That looks like a pyramid to an outsider. The only way that is not a pyramid in some way is if the Soldati don't have to pay tribute to the next tier and/or the areas ruled over are so tiny that each "family" is tantamount to a street gang with limited power over themselves and each other.

I think the difference is that every boss is on his own and doesn't take orders from any other boss. If there is a conflict, there is no superior authority that can intervene and decide who is right and who is wrong to calm things down. In Sicily, the commission can solve disputes, in Campania, if somebody tries to elevate himself to a position to such authority, he will just be told to go to hell. Therefore, so many shootings compared to Sicily and Calabria (I am not saying there is no violence there, but still it's to a lesser degree).
That's how I see it at least.

Willie Marfeo to Henry Tameleo:

1) "You people want a loaf of bread and you throw the crumbs back. Well, fuck you. I ain't closing down."

2) "Get out of here, old man. Go tell Raymond to go shit in his hat. We're not giving you anything."