Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
First of all, Forgotten NY is is one of the best websites around. Period.

Here's a link to their take on Canarsie: http://forgotten-ny.com/2008/07/canarsie-brooklyn-part-1/

And here's the pic they lead with. It's the old Armondo's storefront, right next to the Rockaway Parkway Station. It's still there, but those vintage Coca Cola signs (that once adorned every "by-the-slice" pizza joint in the City back then, are long gone). I remember it well, though.

Great pizza at Armando's and great heroes at Sonny's.Was there in '08,Canarsie.One of my uncles wifes is from Canarsie,and the one of 3 times i talked to her she told me how she loved the place growing up,and ave L ,etc.
Don't know if you remmember PB,but when i first signed on here we talked about Canarsie and the mob over there.My granddad who grew up close by said for exp that flatlands was a middle class neighbourhood,a lot of well off Jews and little Italians around ave N.Canarsie too.He always said that there were a lot of chop shops,car related repair shops along ave D,foster and so on.do you feel tha same way?You are a lucky guy sittig in In sunny Florida,i envi you very much.. smile

Also TB,don't know when you left BK,but do you remmember a gang from New Lots Ave called New Lots boys?Read a book by Richard Q called Surviving East NY.Not a bad book lot of neighbourhood stories,he mentions a lot of mibsters from that part of town.