Originally Posted By: conopizza
Originally Posted By: pizzaboy
Originally Posted By: rockstar_man45
I thought Canarsie was a shithole nowadays. Who the hell would wanna go there? Italian or non Italian

Loads of Jamaicans, especially along Seaview.

Haitians. Most of Canarsie is stoll pretty nice, or no less dragged thanit was as a Jewish-Italian 'hood though it has been built up-- less wetlands, marshes-- and it's a different scene now with the stripmall on the Belt etc. I know you know Pizzaboy but most folks don't know industrial Canarsie also... Anyway, Canarsie isn't gentrified but it's neither a shithole nor Brooklyn's roughest 'hood (that would neighboring Brownsville... East New York too varied to generalize but there are some real nice and some real less than nice blocks/sections there.)

When I was growing up in Brooklyn, Canarsie was like a small town, centered around Rockaway Parkway and Flatlands Avenue, with a few houses near the bay. Then they started draining the swamps and building two-family houses from Flatlands to Seaview Avenue. Italians and Jews, mostly. You'd see how the neighborhood "integrated" during the holiday season: At first, one entire block with Xmas decorations, another block all with menorahs; then one side of a street with Xmas, the other side with menorahs, then one story in a house with Xmas, the other with menorah. Today, lots of upwardly mobile Haitians.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.