C'mon guys, it was enough to fool the Bonannos in the 70s. His cover was that he was an orphan, now how the hell would they look into his family name and origins?

I've always thought Pistone came off as the kinda guy who loves smelling his own farts, but you gotta give him credit where credit's due... his undercover op was unparallelled and unprecedented either in length or success. That said, I do think he's way too indoctrinated into the government bullshit.. sometimes I think he doesn't even realize that all he did was help weaken the mob in favor of a much bigger mob.

And believe me, I can tell he's felt pretty guilty about Sonny's death, he just doesn't admit it in his book, using "I was just doing my job" as the rationale, which is not unlike the rationale used in the Nurenberg trials, even though it isn't exactly a fair comparison. He always tried to steer clear of psychology and morality in his books, even claiming that he felt nothing at all about the aftermath of the operation.. well if that's true he's either a horrible liar, or a much bigger sociopath than most mob guys.

-I shot him a coupla' times.
-What's a couple?
-Hmm, more than a couple... Really I don't know the exact amount, maybe I shot him 10 times, 12 times?
-Maybe fifteen?
-Hmm, it could've been fifteen...

-Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso