Originally Posted By: mickey2
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
Originally Posted By: BarrettM
Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
I´m not sure this National Crime Syndicate and its board of directors even existed. At least not in the way of a combination of Jewish gangsters and LCN, including the Chicago outfit. I´m sure representatives from the two groups met to discuss crime and share ventures but a joint, formal ruling body seems far fetched to me. I could be wrong because I do not know much about Jewish organized crime but I can´t remember any of the Italian informants telling about a National Crime Syndicate.The info I´ve got on Schultz´s murder is that it was discussed and settled among the bosses on the Italian Commission (LCN).

Murder Inc to me seems equally farfetched. Whose to say it wasn't a media creation and we weren't actually looking at the Buchalter gang?

Absolutely! The info was so insufficient back then the media wrongfully labeled Buchalter´s gang as killers for every known mobster back then. The ambitious and successful prosecutor Burton Turkus helped spreading the myth just to feed his own ego it seems not only by putting himself jn the middle of a "crusade" against a "nationwide gang of killers" but also by writing a book about his experiences. The myth of "Murder Inc" still lives today...sadly. My opinion is that Buchalter´s gang was supervised in some way by elements within the Mafia, just like the Wasties were in the 1970s/1980s. It is said that Anastasia was a member of "Murder Inc". That´s just a ridiculous claim. He was not more a member of "Murder Inc" than Paul Castellano or Nino Gaggi was a member of the Westies.

funny. i was just thinkin about orderin' turkus' book from the 50s about murder inc. also, chris cipollinis new book[1], also named "murder inc" is out next month, ill definitely read this one also. As to Anastasia - i dont know. yet.

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Inc-Christian-Cipollini/dp/1939521270/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

I read Turkus book last year. I really liked it. I would love to see your review. Just remember, he was dealing with the info he was getting at the time. Its easy, in retrospect, to play Monday morning quarterback.