Originally Posted By: dontomasso
Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
I think the romance aspect of the Kay/Michael relationship fizzled after Vito was shot. There's a couple of scenes pre-shooting where they're a couple in love -- the Christmas shopping scene immediately before Michael comes across the newspaper announcing Vito's shooting, and a deleted scene where they're having a romp in Kay's hotel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5HIWK2Lxc).

Contrast that to after Vito's shooting - Michael is much more withdrawn. He has that thousand-yard stare while eating dinner at Kay's hotel room (just before he gets punched by McCluskey) and when she later calls, he can't even bring himself to tell Kay he loves her, for which Clemenza gives him a good-natured chiding.

Exactly. Vito's shooting transformed Michael. He observed the family gearing up for a full scale war, and deep down he knew that Sonny did not have what it took to be a good Don. He planned the break-up with Kay, and when he left her at the dinner table in the hotel room (nice touch FFC) and went to the hospital, all his fears were confirmed. Had he not arrived in time his father owuld have been killed and the corleone's would be finished. The next day when he coldly announced his plan to kill Sol and McCluskey, he really meant it when he told Sonny it wasn't personal it was purely business. The idea of the life he wanted with Kay was gone forever.

I agree that the scene in the hotel room was pivotal.

It shows that Michael knows that he is being dragged into the Family business. This is reinforced by when he saves Vito from the second assassination attempt and realizes how calmly and easily he handles the situation (as noted by him looking at his steady hands while Enzo trembles besides him).

But it also shows that Kay is aware that Michael's life - and her life with him - has also irrevocably changed. Her repeated question of "When will I see you again?" shows that she is not unaware of what Michael is getting into and also demonstrates that she is not going to be willing to accept Michael's false promises unquestioningly (a quality that was dormant for a while but resurfaces later in their lives).

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"