Originally Posted By: BloodlettersandBadmen
Again, I appreciate the kind words. All I could find was the interrogation was related to "mob activities." If you can find anything more and can document it, please let me know.

I haven't looked into it, but I am thinking Joe Adonis was a major Heroin trafficker along with Luciano and Joe Biondo and the rest.

The reason I suspect this is because Joe Adonis was leading or co-leading the Broadway Mob. As one of the principal investors in that bootlegging enterprise, he had serious cash flow. It's hard to imagine someone like him moving from bootlegging back into just gambling and shylocking. Costello was the big gambler. So was Lansky. It's on record. Not saying Adonis had no interests in those areas, maybe he did. But it doesn't seem like someone of his stature could play a lesser role in those areas to people like Costello and Lansky and still maintain his status. That's why I think his cash cow was heroin.

If it was, then we would expect to find him going back and forth between Italy and the United States before he was deported. Maybe even France or Turkey.

EDIT: Here is a hint from American Mafia dot com:

"Mafia informant Joseph Valachi stated that Adonis - who directed criminal activity at the Brooklyn docks alongside Albert Anastasia and ran a Brooklyn eatery, Joe's Italian Kitchen on Carroll Street and Fourth Avenue - was among those targeted for elimination by Maranzano after the conclusion of the Castellammarese War in 1931. After Maranzano was assassinated later that year, the Mafia reorganized. Adonis became a major player in the reorganized underworld, though his precise role in the hierarchy is hazy."

From American Mafia Blogspot

That's pretty much a open and shut case there as far as I am concerned. If Adonis was helping Anastasia supervise the waterfront, then he was a dope smuggler. Everyone knows that the two largest families dominated the waterfront, the Anastasia and Luciano families. Joe Adonis might have been the Luciano family dope traffic supervisor at some point. Basically he looks like he was one of the early "drug capos" which were employed by bosses to oversee that part of the family's revenue.

If true, then this means his "deportation" partly served to help facilitate Adonis' business activities.

Probably he was in risk of serious indictment in the United States and someone pulled strings to turn it into a deportation...like Luciano's. This helped a lot of accomplices get rich and stay rich. It kept the grease flowing.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."