Originally Posted By: Its_da_Jackeeettttttt
I think the romance aspect of the Kay/Michael relationship fizzled after Vito was shot. There's a couple of scenes pre-shooting where they're a couple in love -- the Christmas shopping scene immediately before Michael comes across the newspaper announcing Vito's shooting, and a deleted scene where they're having a romp in Kay's hotel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV5HIWK2Lxc).

Contrast that to after Vito's shooting - Michael is much more withdrawn. He has that thousand-yard stare while eating dinner at Kay's hotel room (just before he gets punched by McCluskey) and when she later calls, he can't even bring himself to tell Kay he loves her, for which Clemenza gives him a good-natured chiding.

Exactly. Vito's shooting transformed Michael. He observed the family gearing up for a full scale war, and deep down he knew that Sonny did not have what it took to be a good Don. He planned the break-up with Kay, and when he left her at the dinner table in the hotel room (nice touch FFC) and went to the hospital, all his fears were confirmed. Had he not arrived in time his father owuld have been killed and the corleone's would be finished. The next day when he coldly announced his plan to kill Sol and McCluskey, he really meant it when he told Sonny it wasn't personal it was purely business. The idea of the life he wanted with Kay was gone forever.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."