Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
There is no doubt in my mind that conducting illegal business, without being caught, use to be a lot easier from the beginning , until the 1960's but, I am kind of surprised that the new generation hasn't developed new effective strategies to combat law enforcement.
I think the legends of LCN came up with some good ideas to always be 1 step ahead of the law but this generation is lagging only because common sense outsmarted their foes where today, you must be tech savvy!

(Anyone know who was first to use these 2 counter moves?)

#1 The walk and talk, with a personal spotter standing close by - this makes it basically impossible to ever hear what they are saying, unless the guy you are talking to has a recorder in his jacket pocket.

#2 Never mentioning the boss's name - Physical touching lets the guy you are talking to, know who you are referring to.

The thing I am trying to figure out is, even though technology is extremely advanced in 2014, why is it that all of the advantage should be on law enforcement's side?.......These guys have money at their disposal and should be able to beat these guys at their own game and stay a step ahead or at the very least, even!

For instance:

The boss of the family has his meetings at his designated spot, where ever but, his meetings are NEVER done in his voice....AND, the guy he is talking to is wearing headphones.....Something like this:

Gotti

Incorporating stuff like this would never allow a bosses voice to ever incriminate himself.

OR, they could both just communicate to each other with 2 computers that are not connected to any online connection AND, they just read each others words.

OR,

What if the LCN guys got some tracking devices and hid them behind the bumpers of the agents they knew were tracking them?.....That way they would always know when they were coming.

Obviously I know that there is no full proof way to never get caught AND with so many low ranking guys that would rather flip than do big time just says to me that the underworld is in big need of a tech savvy boss who can pave the way for the next 50 years...Someone to acknowledge the mistakes of the past and LEARN from them because as it stands now, Law Enforcement is womping LCN! and has been for the past 20 years.

#1 The Walk and Talk: This has been used by virtually every family/crew since recording equipment was embraced by law enforcement. A great technique when used with covering up (covering the mouth so agents can't efficiently use lip-readers). The only problem with this is that a bug these days can be placed practically anywhere. Parked vehicles, benches, lights, garbage cans, signage and so on. Reminds of an episode of The Wire when Herc and Carver put a small bug in a tennis ball then just let lay in the street. Granted this was used to catch an idiot and his amateur supplier but you get the idea.

#2 Not Using a Name: Genius in a way but it only takes cooperation from one or two individuals who know the technique and signal to spill it to the feds. I believe it was Joe Massino who would tug at his ear when approached by a member as a reminder/signal to not mention his name. After all if a name isn't mentioned than it cannot be caught on a wiretap and therefore also cannot be added to an indictment.

* There is also much more to counter-surveillance than just the gadgets in terms of who has the advantage. It's also about spacial and directional awareness. Experts in this field know geographically (AT ALL TIMES), which direction they are facing (more important than you would think), their distance from a possible escape route, have specific viewpoints from a place in which they would eat, sit, stand, hold court or even take a shit so as not to be surprised by law or an enemy. They use reflections to look in certain directions for a possible tail rather than simply turning around to look (which would obviously alert authorities in knowing the subject is aware of the search). Also deception in basic human mannerisms (change in body-tics that tell others why/what/how this person is feeling (which could determine their next move). My explanation on this is pretty basic and these should be in every gangsters repertoire but when used correctly and with other skills someone can last a long time in that world. Spain based Irish drug kingpin Christy Kinahan has been rumored to be quite the expert on counter surveillance but even he gets nabbed every couple of years. I suppose everyone 'gets got' at one point or another.