Old newspaper article of when the Scalleat brothers involved in a stabbing.

---

http://www.americanmafia.com/Feature_Articles_259.html

Here's an article on the life of Joe Barbara, best known for hosting Apalachin. This is set around the 1930s and 40s is one of the few sources from that time period. The author says that Joe attempted to force his father to buying from a mob-owned milk man. The father, who was a friend of Emanuel Zicari, a Bufalino capo who attended Apalachin, asked Zicari to right the wrong. At the next mob meeting Zicari asked Barbara to lay off and he did.

In 1957, around 12 weeks before Apalachin, Barbara's heart disease was taking a turn for the worse, a doctor performed an experimental procedure on his arteries. Barbara claimed to feel better although ironically, it was only a placebo effect and Barbara would die years later. Vito Genovese himself came to Binghamton and thanked Dr. Tony! Of course, he and Magaddino would soon be pressuring Barbara to host the largest Mafia summit of all time, which didn't do any good for his heart.

The author and his dad invited Barbara to a barbecue and in truly loose-lipped fashion, Barbara told them how he really felt about the mob.

Quote:
"They want this from me. They want that. They keep pressuring me. I'm sick and tired of it. Well, Father said, why don't you get out? Get out? Joe replied. I got obligations. You don't say no to these people. Once you're in you're in for life."

Joe Barbara died in 1959. His son, Joe Barbara Jr. became a member of the Detroit Partnership.

Last edited by BarrettM; 12/22/14 11:20 AM.