Trooper accused of bets resigns James Harney, 40, apologized on his attorney's Web site. Bet-ring defendant resigns as trooper

By Joel Bewley INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
POSTED: August 03, 2006
A New Jersey state trooper who is expected to plead guilty today to running a booming sports-betting ring allegedly financed by NHL star Rick Tocchet resigned yesterday, saying he had disgraced the force and himself.

James Harney, 40, of Mount Laurel, an eight-year veteran accused of sometimes taking bets while patrolling the New Jersey Turnpike, posted the letter of resignation on his attorney's Web site.

"The disgrace which I have placed upon the division, myself and my family will remain with me forever," he wrote.

Harney was arrested in February with Tocchet, a former Philadelphia Flyer, and another South Jersey man after a four-month investigation called Operation Slapshot.

They are accused of running a multimillion-dollar operation that took bets on college and professional football and basketball games.

Harney's statement did not specifically address the charges against him, which include promoting gambling, money laundering, conspiracy and official misconduct.

He said the state police force was filled with good officers, and he urged people to judge him as an individual, not as a trooper.

"I am truly sorry for the humiliation and disgrace that I have caused to the Division of State Police," Harney wrote. "The scar that I have placed upon the division is inexcusable and was never contemplated by me."

Neither state police officials nor the state Attorney General's Office would comment on Harney's letter.

The ring processed $1.7 million in wagers in 40 days just before the arrests, police have said.

Sources have said bettors included former Flyer Jeremy Roenick and actress Janet Jones, the wife of Phoenix Coyotes coach Wayne Gretzky.

Tocchet, 40, is on leave from his job as Gretzky's assistant.

Harney and Tocchet met years ago while Tocchet played for the Flyers and Harney served drinks at a popular sports bar near the South Philadelphia stadium complex, police have said.

Along with Harney and Tocchet, police charged James Ulmer of Swedesboro, alleging he helped take bets.

The charges have not been presented to a grand jury, state police have said. There has been no indication that Tocchet and Ulmer were considering accepting plea bargains.

Details of Harney's plea agreement have not been released. If convicted at trial, he could have been sentenced to at least 20 years behind bars.

Tocchet and Ulmer could each face a decade in prison if convicted.

At least one other trooper has been suspended for knowing of the betting ring.

Contact staff writer Joel Bewley

at 609-261-0900 or jbewley@phillynews.com.