Originally Posted By: dominic_calabrese
I wanted to bump this thread up simply because I find it fascinating how many mafia members were involved in the heroin trade--exploding once and for all the myth that the mafia discouraged such activity among its members--and how they worked across family lines and with people outside the mafia altogether

There really needs to be a book written about the heroin trade, from its origins up until circa 1990, if not the present day

The Mafia was heavily involved in the narcotics trade. Some bosses allowed their troops into it, others did not. There was however a national ban against drug dealing issued by the bosses, but this ban was not followed by its members. It seems to me that the bosses took this ban seriously, even though these same bosses were themselves engaged with drugs while just soldiers or captains. For example, Carlo Gambino is said to have been in the drug trade while an underling to Mangano and Anastasia. But once he became a boss, he forbade his troops to deal in drugs. This was confirmed by members who talked to the feds. And contrary to what many believe, any member who dealt in drugs was truly in serious trouble if the bosses found out.

[Linked Image]