Originally Posted By: Giacomo_Vacari
I thought Runnelli shot Paolo in the ass, or was that Maranzano shouting at Valachi and Runnelli for wasting time with the foot soldiers instead of the leaders?

Here you go Giacomo, right from JV's book. This is Valachi saying what happened after they took a shot at Paolo.

I let Steve off someplace on Southern Boulevard, and I went back to Yonkers where Mr. Maranzano was. He was waiting for me. Boy, was he mad! He seemed to know already what happened, and he said, "What did you go after that guy for? What's the matter with you?"

I said, "Steve told me he was a big boss."

Mr. Maranzano started cursing. He said, "This guy is a nobody." I told him not to worry, I didn't think the guy was hit. With that, as I am telling him this, the phone rang. After he took the call, he said to me, "You are right. The bullet only clipped his ear. He got out of that Lincoln, I just heard, and walked away." Well, everything turned out for the best. Paul Gambino wasn't nothing, but his brother Carlo was a big man with the Masseria group. When Carlo got word of the shooting, figuring he might be next, he brought all his people over with us.