Cotroni was inducted into the Bonanno family by Galante in de mid 1950s and after Galante's departure became the Bonanno family's capodecina in Montreal. The Cotronis were very close with the Bonannos and very loyal as well. Nick Rizzuto was a mafioso for over a decade in Sicily before moving to Canada, so I'm inclined to think he was already made before being absorbed into the Montreal crew. Otherwise he would have been made into the Bonanno family by Cotroni. I think that his son Vito was made into the Bonanno family. In 1981 Vito was summoned by Sciascia and Massino to participate in the murder of the three capos. Perhaps he was made after making his bones, but it was said that he was already put in charge by his father when the latter was organizing the drug trade in Venezuela, so he could have already been made by the late 1970s.

After Cotroni's death in 1984 Montreal gradually became more independent from New York. This was mainly because Sciascia, as the Montreal crew's representative in New York, gave the Rizzutos a free hand. It is even debatable whether Sciascia was really the caporegime or Nick Rizzuto. Both came from the same village of Cattolica Eraclea. Anyway, the direct link between Montreal and New York broke with Sciascia's murder. I personally don't believe Montreal ever declared itself independent, but the Rizzutos were from that point on firmly in charge of Montreal until Vito was incarcerated.

"It was between the brothers Kay -- I had nothing to do with it."