Originally Posted By: GaryMartin
Here's something to consider when thinking about some type rivalry between these guys. There was never any "street wars" between any of the different crews. If you recall during the Capone era there was always someone invading another crew's territory. Remember Hymie Weiss, the Gennas, Bugs Moran, etc. ? Different factions were always fighting. That's what the St. Valentine's Day Massacre was about.

No such "street wars" occurred during the Ricca, Accardo and Giancana years. Differences of opinion and dissatisfaction, complaining, of course; no different than legitimate business. There are always complainers, bickering, etc. Just imagine trying to keep a large group of gangsters satisfied. If differences came up and could not be resolved by the parties involved, they had a "sit down." In other words a higher ranking member rendered an opinion. There was a chain of command and disagreements could be appealed. But once the boss made a decision, it was over. Going agains a boss' decision was a one-way trip to the graveyard. For the most part, Ricca and Accardo stayed out of the day-to-day business just like someone (maybe Faithful 1) stated a few days ago. Doing so kept both men further insulated from the possibility of facing criminal charges. I should say it helped because these guys were always in court. Charges were difficult to prove unless there was some type of direct involvement. Smart guys. RICO didn't become law until the early 70's......I think it was the 70's.

This is how I've been told the system worked.

the heights (south suburbs) was always killing each other

they killed each other while ricca and accardo were alive