Snakes version is the most frequently reported theory; but no one was ever charged. The authorities (at first) couldn't decide who was responsible for investigating the murder.

I've often wondered what was discussed when Accardo and Aiuppa met with Giancana prior to his murder. Theories abound but I doubt anyone knows for sure.

I believe the final immunity deal was for Giancana to testify only about Outfit matters from 1970 or 72 to '75. Could be that some of the information gleaned from the listening devices during the 60's was not admissabile in court because they were not legal. Just speculation on my part. I'm not sure but I think it was David Schippers who said Giancana was in a trap. If he refused to talk or if he lied, he would go to jail. If he talked he would implicate a number of high-ranking Oufit members. He, or someone, stated that the govt had enough info that there would have been no "wiggle room" for Giancana. I tend to believe this. There was just no where to go and the govt made sure that the news media got all the info about Giancana's dilemma. There were no secrets here, Giancana knew how the Outfit handled situations like this. He knew he was in trouble.

There's a magazine article about Giancana's death written by William Brashler; I believe that's his name. I have it saved and have posted it a couple of times. I'll see if I can find it.