Originally Posted By: downtown
Gambino Crew in Greenwich Village , Guido (Dolls) and Eddie (Boogy) DeCurtis for many years had their club on Cornelia st. right off Bleeker st. both Brothers were born and raised in GV. Dolls was killed leaving a crap game on Lexington ave, (late 70s) and Eddie's son Gregory was shot dead as he sat in his car at the corner of Cornelia st. and Bleeker st. (late 80s)

Yup. Greg also had a spot on Cornelia right next to Mario Batali's first restaurant (Po). But he was killed before Batali took that place over.

I've posted about that neighborhood ad nauseam here. But the Village really was heavily Italian at one time. Bleecker and 7th was its own Little Italy.

I mean, sure, there were always some free spirits and weirdos living in the Village when I was growing up in the '60s and '70s. But it was nothing like what it became. One of our properties is on West 8th, between MacDougal and Sixth. My accountant calls it Hollywood East.

Even the gays, who are normally pretty good at making a buck (relax, everyone, that's a "good" stereotype), are starting to get priced out. A lot of them have moved up to Chelsea. But even Chelsea is obscenely priced today.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.