Originally Posted By: ItalianIrishMix
Once Salvie knew that Scarfo and Merlino wanted him dead, WHY didn't he at least go and try to see if Big Paul could save his life? Paul still was the recognized boss of bosses in 83-84.

I know that a boss should have the right to eliminate whoever they want in their family BUT, when Mr. Miggs was boss and wanted to eliminate Angelo Bruno, Bruno went to Carlo and VOILA, life saved!
Even though Bruno was only a capo at the time, his case was heard and Salvie definitely had a good reason to not get whacked.

In a perfect world, Big Paul could have said, "Nicky, go to florida, you are retired! and Salvie, you are now the boss!....lol. I know that would have been a long shot but,
wasn't it the Gambino's that appointed his dad?

It couldn't have hurt to try.

who knows why? maybe he had no idea how threatened he was? Or maybe he just accepted it as how life goes? no one knows. He hadd saved Nickey once by taking that shotgun blast to the arm and maybe h Salviethought there was no way Nicky was wacking him for no reason after that show of loyalty. Nicky was a psycho and the Philly fam in the 80's y all accounts was the wild west.

I've walked along the red canal of mars
I've known kings and king makers
Poets painters and paupers
I've danced danced on the rings of Saturn
Still your pilgrim soul is the only thing that ever mattered