We had this same discussion on another forum years back. One of the guys was from Gotti's neighborhood so I'm going to speak for him.

John Gotti may have been considered a terrible boss by many but to his neighborhood he was considered a "True Godfather".
The residents of Ozone Park and Howard Beach regarded him as a gentleman, a guardian angel, a class act, and a terrific guy.

John Gotti kept his neighborhood safe. "A man of the people" Gotti would frequent many of the small shops in his neighborhood always smiling a saying hello. He was a man who held respect and honor to the highest degree. He was a true Godfather in the sense that he gave back to his community. Residents would go to him when in need. He gave money to the folks who had lost their jobs, he paid for a child's operation that his parents couldn't afford. He took care of the neighborhood, HIS neighborhood. Many remember the Fourth of July parties that Gotti used to throw on 101st Ave complete with a barbecue feast and fireworks. He took care of everyone because of his love for his neighborhood. He had real old world family values.

Unlike other mob bosses, Gotti had the support of the local people. The government feared this. The government put their two cents in by saying he was the worst mob boss ever. They claim he was too flashy and that brought attention to him and cosa nostra. Bullshit! The government went after every mobster flashy or not. They want you to go out like a mouse like most members did. Not John though. Also, the government railroaded Gotti's lawyer Bruce Cutler. They basically said he hung out with the Gambino's/Gotti too much and got thrown off the case. When you're in trouble with the government you better have your council around. Mr. Cutler was great, blocked all the governments not so legal tactics. That's why they threw him off the case. The fix was in and in full effect. Like John said it took 80 million dollars 3 lying murders to put him in jail. I believe John Gotti when he said, "You won't see another guy like me even if you live to be 5000 years old." John won because he spent all his healthy years as a gangster. He brought his own family fame and fortune. His last few years he was sick and died. Who had to take care of him the Government . Johnny Boy is free.

Gotti may have been a lot of things, but in the end he took his punishment like a man. He went in and did his time.

Gotti's own words:
This is gonna be a cosa nostra 'til I die. Be it an hour from now, or be it tonight, or a hundred years from now when I'm in jail. It's gonna be a cosa nostra.

I never lie to any man because I don't fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid.

When I was able to "graduate from the gutter" I took myself out of the gutter. I advanced myself. I told you my life was dictated for me, I didn't dictate my life.

I'm a man's man. I'm here to take my medicine.

Right now I'm cursed. I am stuck in this jail and that's the end of it...
Ya know there's nuttin I can do about it

Allegedly, when the priest came in to give him Last Rites, Gotti unable to talk due to the cancer, motioned for the priest to go away.

In the end, John Gotti died with HONOR. That's all that mattered to him. It was "Cosa Nostra" til he took his last breath.

This hat was approved and passed out throughout the neighborhood to show the public support for Mr. John Gotti.