Originally Posted By: AlexHortis5

So TC please don't say I supposedly "ridicule" the Communist threat. My family came from a country that barely escaped Soviet domination. I resent you misrepresenting me with total bullshit, when you haven't even read when I wrote.

I was making a general remark regarding attitudes about the threat of marxist communism, not you or your book in particular. Many people (not you) are ignorant of world history, focus on one aspect and ignore everything else that was going on. BTW.. who is TC?

Like everyone, Hoover had strengths and weaknesses. He was great on the communist threat and arresting Nazi's, but had a weak strategy on OC prior to 1957. I think he preferred it handled by state and local law enforcement (eg., Thomas Dewey). From 1957 until 1972 (about 15 years), the FBI did gather intelligence and aggressively went after the mob. People criticize Hoover as if those 14-15 years didn't exist..but they did exist!

Here's a question...why was the FBN so ineffective and why do historians seem to give them pass as far as responsibility?

Last edited by ht2; 10/24/14 01:17 PM.