Originally Posted By: HairyKnuckles
No one was crowned the boss of bosses at the meeting. Neither was anybody supposed to be crowned the boss of bosses at the meeting. "Mafia Summit" claims that Vito Genovese was supposed to be crowned boss of bosses but that´s big bullshit.

Meyer Lansky was not a member of LCN. So there was no way he would be allowed to participate in the meeting. Frank Costello was out. At that time, he was just a soldier with no power.

I don't mean to give you a hard time HK.

I DO agree with you that they weren't about to make Vito Genovese "boss of bosses" like Reavill claims. That issue was settled in 1931.

And the story about Meyer Lanksy and Frank Costello tipping off the police is bunk. Lansky was never going to be invited to a Commission meeting, and Costello was quasi-retired.

Besides, if the State Police were tipped off, why was the round-up so haphazard? (Even Mafia Summit manages to get that right). If the Staties knew in advance, they could've put down a dragnet and caught every single one of them.

I'm also influenced by seeing the old DD5s at the New York State Archives. The individual police put together each of their own DD5s within 24 hours of the round-up. They have the typical mistakes and typos you'd expect from something spontaneous. Apalachin was a surprise.

Last edited by AlexHortis5; 10/21/14 01:48 PM.