Originally Posted By: Binnie_Coll
alexhortis5, I set this thread in motion to some how get a sense of what it was really CALLED FOR. I just cant buy most of these reasons, you have here the biggest conclave of mafia bosses in the u.s. never before or sense has there been one as big, its wasn't to crown vito Genovese as head of all the lcn. that's ridiculous, it had nothing to do with the killing of Anastasia, or the attempt on costellos life, those were all family matters, as far as narcotics go, maybe. but I doubt it. there was something else entirely for this meet, and frankly, I don't think any one knows. especially law enforcement.

Binnie,

I'm just disputing the notion that the 1957 Apalachin meeting was called to impose a national ban on narcotics. HK said that with 100% confidence. I agree with you that that "reason" is dubious.

The only "source" for that story is Joe/Bill Bonnano, who wanted to perpetuate the myth that they would've stopped drugs but-for the pesky police! It's great storytelling, but it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

Last edited by AlexHortis5; 10/21/14 11:48 AM.