Originally Posted By: NNY78
I appreciate the great insights PB as always. I can only imagine how different things are now.

No, you can't. Not unless you can imagine a Haitian guy running a fruit stand at the Arthur Avenue Market lol.

Originally Posted By: NNY78
Say did you hear that Gulfstream bought Calder and they are going to keep the track open and have a couple of live race days weekly. I'm guessing mainly for the gambling license since Gulfstream put Calder out of business. Sheldon Adelson put several million dollars of his own money into the push down here in Tallahassee for expanding gambling on and off the reservations, Gulfstream I'm sure is looking to expand their operations. smile

Yeah, I saw that. But I'm not getting my hopes up for anything special.

As you probably know, Gulfstream opened up for a Summer meet this year for the first time. They've always run from December to April there. It was only four days a week, but it was awful. Not only were the jockeys all shippers from South America, so were the horses. You almost couldn't read the form without an interpreter. But they should have known better anyway because summertime means Saratoga. That's where the quality trainers are, and the quality horses and jockeys follow them.

And a few years back they reopened Hialeah for quarter horse racing. They claimed that it was the first step to bringing back the thoroughbreds. And we're still waiting. Hialeah used to be a VERY big deal. It was right up there with Belmont, Saratoga, Churchill Downs and Santa Anita. But they fucked that up, too.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.