Accardo was always influential (IMO). He was so well insulated that law enforcement just couldn't make anything stick. As far as the burglary, I can't imagine he didn't give the go ahead to have these people killed, some of whom probably had no involvement. None of these top echelon guys could afford to have someone violate their living quarters and not take some type action. To do so would reflect a serious weakness. My guess is the same fate would have resulted if the break-in had occurred at some of the other homes of high ranking Outfit members.

If you're talking about the 70's, Accardo was obviously a shot caller. There were a number of Outfit members who made decisions relative to business dealings. Who did what is difficult to say, but no doubt Accardo was in the upper tier of the Outfit (IMO).

FBI surveillance reports indicate that he was still very much involved until the mid to late 1980's. I'm not sure how many shots he called, but he would probably have no problem getting something done if he chose to do so. He was very rich and for the most part, retired. He was also very, very sick.

Last edited by GaryMartin; 10/11/14 08:44 PM.