Originally Posted By: salvi62
I played Buddy just once at the old Carrilon Hotel on Miami Beach.

I don't think he had a body guard (maybe when he went outside the hotel?)

He seemed like a very nice guy. He did something very few of these guys do...attend their own rehearsals. Most have a conductor or MD (musical director) and you never see them until show time. Then they go right to their dressing rooms and we go home.

But I remember Buddy staying though the whole rehearsal.

Buddy Greco- What a fucking talent......GREAT singer, GREAT piano player. Hes a real "musicians" singer.

Did you know that he played piano with Benny Goodmans band as a kid? Major talent.

The fellow who said he was Buddys bodyguard....was he a cool guy? I'm sure you had way more contact with him than I did. Its funny though, sitting up there watching from behind you can kinda tell who the assholes are.

Sal

As far as the "Cool Guy" - yeah he was Cool - I think that he could get a little irritated quickly. As an example, the Night that he finished at the Club and we went to the other Club. He wasn't expecting to get a Bill for his Drinks and Meals. So when the Owner of the Club presented him with the Bill he got really pissed. He then asked everybody at the Table to Pay for each of their own Meals and Drinks including myself, then wanted to abruptly leave so I had to scramble on that one.

I don't want that to be a characterization but he would Publicly show a lot of affection for his Wife Jackie. He did take his rehearsals seriously as I remember, thinking back some 34 years ago.