Thank you for the responses.

My uncle-in-law was the guy Leo introduced to the families. He never had to bump up any cut, and he made sure his uncle who ran book never had to bump up either. That was the pull Leo Daniel had (it appears).
My uncle started off doing numbers and hits for the friends he made in jail in the late 50's (he killed a guy). Then he went on to dealing coke. He said the Colombians were the cheapest of all; and that that got the better of him. Then he did a small favor for some Chinese guys at a restaurant and ended up getting heroin from them. That made him THE heroin guy for the 3 families he hung around. He told me he got the Purple Gang started. He went away in '86. I met him in 2009. For 3 weeks I heard his stories.
He wouldn't tell me any murder stories (since he was still alive) and would only identify those who are already dead.

Learned some amazing things:
-Mafia talked about killing JFK but said no.
-Bobby, that's a different story (as he said). He said there was a LOT of talk about it but 'I never heard what the final decision was' ;-)
-Sometimes being an independent was better than being part of one of the families
-You can't be a criminal today

He used to eat dinner with Fat Tony, Carmine Galente, lot's of the big guys. Tony and Galente both Proposed him to join their respective crews. But my uncle-inlaw had a horrible father so he would never take orders from somebody - always a lone wolf in that sense. He was real close friends with Thomas DeSimone. He said DeSimone had murder in his eyes; and that his wife was uncomfortable around DeSimone.

Last edited by InsideLookingOut; 10/01/14 11:04 PM.