Quote:
what is your opinion of joey gallo? ive read many books on him, the best being "joey" by goddard, I think he was a moron. he always wanted everyone to know he was a ganster, played it to the hilt. always bragged about he killed albert anastaisa, went to war with profaci in 1960 never had a chance in the world of winning, things got so bad he had to shake down a twobit cashing business ran by a man named teddy moss. was convicted of extortion got 14 yrs, got out in 9, then started his hustle of how he was now into great books, and philosophy. was running around with movie stars, wanting to be on the tonight show, Colombo offered him 1000 dollars to settle up. he refused. thinking he had some power left in Brooklyn, he was all washed up he had nothing left.most soldiers hated him, and then came umbertos.

Based on Joe Profaci's past actions, I would say the olive branch offer of 1000 dollars was a trick. Joe Profaci was from the old school of thought that a boss was like a god and that the penalty for rebellion was ultimate.

Also, I think Joey Gallo's war on Profaci, and the possible backing Joey had from Carlo and Tommy was proof that Profaci was a prolific drug smuggler and Joey wanted to take over his pipeline. So that is at least three major pipelines: The Profaci pipeline from somewhere in Sicily (Villabate?), the Bonanno pipeline from Canada and maybe Sicily (Castellamare Del Golfo?) and the major pipeline from Sicily controlled by the Gambinos coming in through the NY harbor from wherever. I digress...

Joey was a likely a drug dealer that wanted to move from being just a distributor to taking over his Boss' international trafficking operation. And he had Carlo and Tommy's blessing to do it.

Joey Gallo's "friendships" with Black criminals was likely a business move to set up distribution in Black neighborhoods. Not to move drugs only to Black addicts only, but also to make the Black neighborhoods the distribution point...for all addicts.

By the way, and this is VERY off topic...

Why did not Carlo Gambino have a nickname?

You have Lucky Luciano, Three Fingers, The Cigar, The Oddfather, Joe Bananas, Lord High Executioner, etc. What was Carlo's nickname, if he ever had one. My bet is that once he became a Boss, he abolished it and anyone caught saying it by his spies ended up hit.

"For us, rubbin'out a Mustache was just like makin' way for a new building, like we was in the construction business."